Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Supplies part two

One thing it seems you can never get enough of as a crafter, is supplies. Paper, vinyl, glitter, glue, embellishments, washi tape....the list goes on and varies depending on what crafts you make and what they are used for.
Today I want to talk about vinyl.

Now, I used to think it was a pretty basic material used to decorate walls and maybe a stainless steel water bottle or two. But it turns out that vinyl is pretty versatile. I've used it on walls and mugs, water bottles, glass, canvas, notebooks, cases (for glasses, those fidget spinners, and oils). You can slap a label on a box, or pantry container. You can even use it on cards. In fact, I was most excited when I saw how things like vinyl mixed with cardstock. It added a cool dimension and texture to my images that cardstock can't achieve. Especially if you are talking about making things look shiny.
Take this card for example. Most of what you see is actually vinyl or adhesive foil. The black base of the card is cardstock as is the base and face of the little astronaut. The planets are a mix of cardstock and vinyl while the sun and lettering are all vinyl.
I love how the simple shapes of cut out stars on the blue foil makes the card pop. It gives it texture and elevates a rather simple concept card, into something a young boy or girl would actually want to keep.
And you see that dark reflection in the card? That is my phone while I was taking the photo. It is THAT shiny. I am so excited to use more of this material on items I had thought were not vinyl crafts!
You can get your vinyl in lots of places, but I really like Amazon because I often have projects that need to be done within a short time frame and the 2 day shipping (and sometimes you can get next day shipping for extra $$) is a life saver. Yes, you may pay more than if you shop sales at craft stores or use discount codes from Craft groups at Cricut.com but Amazon offers many different brands and again, the speed in which I need my supplies sometimes is more important than the cost.
  To assemble my card, well, the parts that aren't vinyl that is, I used a zigpen and my ATG tape. You can find those products on amazon as well. I got my zigpen at a local store since i just happened to be there at the time with a fellow crafter who recommended it. I ordered my ATG tape and dispenser from Amazon months ago and I do not know how I made cards without it!

The zig pen is great for those tiny little areas and lettering. I use it often for intricate designs and overlays. I use my ATG (advanced tape glider) for everything else. Regular glue can slip, distort, and takes time to dry-and let's face it, when you are making 40 invitations time is an important thing to save! If you click the links below, you can find the products that I used for this card and let your imagination run wild with all the cool possibilities!











We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment